The best first-line treatment for hip and knee arthritis
GLA:D®, or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
What does GLA:DTM involve?
This education and exercise program reflects the latest evidence in osteoarthritis (OA) research. It also includes feedback from people with OA and trainers on what works in the real world to help patients manage OA symptoms.
GLA:DTM Australia training consists of:
- A first appointment explaining the program and collecting data on your current functional ability
- Two free education sessions which teach you about OA, how the GLA:D™ Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability outside of the program (contact us if you wish to access these sessions).
- Group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life.
Can I Participate in GLA:DTM Australia?
GLA:D™ Australia is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity. You may participate in the GLA:D™ Australia program if you have a hip or knee joint problem that resulted in visiting a health care provider.
OA Treatment in Australia
OA is the most common lifestyle disease in individuals 65 year of age and older, but can also affect individuals as young as 30 years of age.
Current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight loss as first line treatment for osteoarthritis.
In Australia, treatment usually focuses on surgery and the GLA:D® Australia program offers a safe alternative that may avoid the need for surgery.
Background of the GLA:DTM Program
Research from the GLA:D® program in Denmark found symptoms reduced by 32%.
Expected outcomes include less pain, reduced use of joint-related pain killers, and less people on sick leave. GLA:D® participants also reported high levels of satisfaction with the program and increased levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program.
This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
Want to join the GLA:DTM Program?
Contact the clinic for a pre-assessment booking with Queenie Liang
Every Monday & Thursday 2-3pm.
Every Tuesday & Friday 11:30-12:30pm.
- 2 x 1 hour education sessions to improve your understanding of how to best manage your OA, symptoms and how to get the most out of the program
- 2 classes per week for 6 weeks, then participants are to continue the program at home for a further 6 weeks